Saturday, November 14, 2009

Team Polska Kletsch Park

photo by ron(squeezing into Holly's jersery)


Photos above by djonnymac

photo by mtbgirl

We keep forgetting the camera but I should be able to find some flickr and cell phone pics. It was a good day, Holly took 1st and I got 4th.
Kletsch Park is one of the better courses with some singletrack sections that make cornering at speed on a cross bike a blast. There's something about riding offroad on something that resembles a road bike, kind of like taking a production car and modifying it race offroad courses in WRC rally competition. The Polska Team always puts on a great show and let their enthusiasm known on top of the hill run up with beer dousing, ass slaps, cowbells and yelling Davai! Davai! and screaming in Polish every time through.

The hill run up is a real bitch and it resembles Mt. Krumpet at Jingle Cross. After the hill run up, you have to ride downhill on a steep section, offcamber before coming around and climbing the other side of it.

The payout was $600 for the Mens, $220 to the winner so I was not surprised to see Tristan there. They did call ups for WCA points, which was new. I got a good start and ended up behind James Lalonde and Tristan and it seemed like a mellower pace 1st lap to feel things out a little bit. Despite good position, I really struggle with these damn hills in comparison to the faster racers in the area. Though I have improved, I am still a couple of steps behind. After a couple of laps, I fell back to 4th with Tim Pacholski getting ahead of me. I was able to stay with him for a couple of laps and lost some time on the hill run up. With 4 laps to go, my front tire washed out on the offcamber downhill seciton after the run up. He had a pretty nice gap on my the entire race. I felt like I could close some but just could not hang with him uphill. I was hoping for a better result but I am stoked as my fitness seems to be improving.

With Planet Bike womens team in New Jersey, the race was up for grabs in the Elite field. Holly battled it out with Megan and got the win, her first Wisconsin race ever. She really drilled the race and held nice gap. She's getting stronger as the season progresses. Given the payouts Polska set up, 1st place was $170 which which was really cool. When I assumed it was the hill run up that got her the gap, I was corrected it was actually all the open riding sections where she felt she was making time. Awesome.

We're going to head to Janesville tomorrow. I've heard alot of good things about this course but have never raced there. It should be flatter and have regular trail type of use as opposed to grass which are conditions that tend to suit me. Legs have been feeling really good the last 3 weeks, so with the course conditions I am excited for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment