Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bend

Been a while since I posted. Work, life etc.

Scott McLaughlin told us about the Bs race so we decided to do it as a leg opener and course familiarization. I have not ridden since Montrose. Brian told me at this point, it doesn't matter, but I usually do best when I have some kind of hard effort right before the race.

Holly won the Bs race, I took second. I raced with my Craft lobster gloves on since it was a balmy 4 degrees at the start of the race and I could not get through a lap on the pre ride in my full fingered gloves without freezing my fingers.

I was able to take the race lead after 2 laps and the corners were already getting iced up and I started losing my wheel through turns. Eventually, my gloves were waterlogged with sweat and I lost the ability to smooth out my braking in these sections since my hands were slippery and I had no feeling on the levers. I wanted to take the gloves off but Holly told me to keep them on.

2 laps to go, I went through the pit (without stopping) and tossed her the gloves. I thought I would have to come in for any exchange, however, I was supposed to come to a complete stop or would be disqualified for riding a better line in the pit.

Next 1/2 lap, I had to come in again, and stop and get off the bike or the judge would have DQ me. The gap I had was lost with 2 pit stops and Shad from KCCX was able to take the lead. I felt pretty strong but this was a blunder that cost me the race. My fault for not knowing the rules.

Either way, it was great to get out on the course and open my legs and ride everything at race speed. The course is starting to ice up in corners which is much different from my 830am pre ride. I am sure it will be different for Saturday since they're calling for mixed conditions, but it's nice to know the line. I probably went down 5 times with black ice corners. No tire can help with those but I really like riding the Fango 34s.

A couple of other mistakes.....forgot my other wheel bag in the garage so Holly and I have 4 bikes and 2 sets of wheels. Also, brought my road shoes instead of my cross shoes....they look exactly the same. Went out last night to Webcyclery and picked up some Shimano mid level shoes and eggbeater cleats. Pretty good shoe for the money. Gave us a chance to try the new Shimano electric group which was really killer.

Bend is really cool...a drive through the mountains in Mt. Hood National forest which then become high, dry desert in Bend. Obviously, cool bike friendly town. It was great they did a news piece last night on the race and hyped up the location as a hot bed for cycling. Cool people, great crowds...

Tomorrow, Holly races at 2:30 and I will probably ride the course at noon for an hour again.

No comments:

Post a Comment