Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mens Masters 35-39

Epic conditions with standing water, mud and slick grass with a few icy corners to make it interesting. Pre riding the course felt better with more confidence inspiring traction than early this week. Call up spot in the middle of the 4th row.

Had a good start and it was elbow to elbow with a lot of pushing for the hole shot. Nowhere to really go and it was hard to get ahead with riders wide across. The start of this race was as fast as the USGP Madison and Jingle Cross races. No one is giving in inch.

First lap was still hard to pass but I was staying on my bike scrubbing speed in corners. Next couple of laps, pushing as hard as I could and not able to pass anyone sitting about 25th.

Last 3 laps, things started coming apart for me. The new defrosted ground conditions unearthed some softball sized rocks that were hard to see in the mud in corners and I found a few of them sending me over my bars twice, once in the "Velonews" corner to watch section and another at the end of the straight going by the pits. I dropped a chain and watched about 5 guys ride by my. With 3 to go, I felt like I was gaining some momentum and feeling settled and could move a up a few spots. My hands froze after going into the water.

Finishing 28th overall. I had hoped for a top 10 finish.

A special thanks to Mike Hemme and Aaron for giving me a spare derailleur hanger the day before the race.

A couple of takeaways on Nationals...

The course conditions were epic muddy and I have not been riding this stuff all year. Jingle cross was the only mud race. Probably will spend some time on the cross bike on trails. Handling skills and keeping pedal inputs smooth don't seem as well rehearsed for me versus the mountain bike. I can ride shit like this all day on fast 29er wheels but bringing it together on a cross bike is different. Can't make any mistakes since there's limited power spots to make up time. I recognize, I am better suited for dry, fast courses with limited climbing. It's all relative...the people that compete here all fast.

Can always start better. Lined up with guys just as fast or faster. Most races, there's maybe 5 guys and you can make up an average start during the next lap. With this level of comp, going into the hole shot elbow to elbow with these guys, have to expect more from a fast start. If you lose 5-10 seconds, you won't get it back.

It was still worth the trip coming out here though. Bend and Portland have alot more to offer in terms of cycling and awesome food, coffee and the best beers. I might never have come to this part of the country if it were not for this race. Plenty of nice bike shops to fix bent derailleur hangers and parts. For anyone considering the trip next year, I would suggest it. Not sure if I will come out again for Bend since I have already experienced it though. The people here were beyond enthusiastic to have all these bike racers which will be hard for any other venue to replicate. It was cool wearing the Courage Portland kit to get some extra cheers from strangers.

It was very difficult managing race days with proper warm up and mechanical support. The race site had neutral support but I would have liked to have all my tools, multiple wheel sets and spare parts. The race site had no neutral warm up tent. How do they expect people that travel all this way to bring a trainer? Thanks to the folks at Planet Bike for extending their hospitality with a warm tent and trainer.

So, Nationals will definitely be in the cards again but I would like to drive my truck there with all of my bikes, wheels, tent, trainer and my own power washer and a bad ass set of tools.

Plans next year will be the same, all about cyclocross with a couple of more WORS races in July and perhaps IceMan and Chemequon.

Though I had hoped to do better at the Wisconsin and Illinois state race and Nationals, still felt like I had a good season and I am satisfied with how things went. Certainly had alot of fun and always enjoy the camaraderie of the cross scene.
Looking forward to not looking at my bike for a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment