Saturday, September 19, 2009

New Rig

Finally have the bike built. I have to thank Alex at RVB. It was coming down to crunch time and he set aside a laundry list of work to finish of my bike and the Mike's. By Thursday, he did not even have his own cross bike built.

Still waiting on the Edge wheels and will probably throw on some egg beater 4 ti pedals. The Time's are best for mountain bike but you don't smash too many rocks in cross. I went with the old school Flite saddle but may throw on an SLR for weight reduction. I am paranoid about broken seat rails/shells so thought this with a Thomson seatpost would be solid. I would like to get the bike down to just under 17lbs, which is really light for a 170lb hammer head on steel. I decided to stay with the Campy stuff instead of Sram given the ease of wheel changeability across 5 road and cross bikes. They copied the Sram ergos which were my favorite part of the group.

Initial impression is front end feels very stiff with the Edge fork, like the Alpha Q and does not have the brake chatter of the Easton I have on the Eriksen. I think this geometry is dialed in for me much better, more aggressive for quicker handling.

Love single chain ring set up...quiet,clean and no chain slap or drop. I'll run a 44X12/26 set up. Next year, I am definitely going to run a 1x10 on the mountain bike using the new Sram XX.

Meat and potatoes cross set up starting with a custom built steel frame...

We'll see how well the new rig does tomorrow.
















No comments:

Post a Comment